A Winter farm share membership might be right for you if:
- you’ve been a CSA member of any farm before
- you wish you’d joined the CSA at the beginning of the summer
- you love winter veggies like butternut squash, sweet potatoes, kale, turnips and more
- you are ready for the challenge of eating what your farmer puts in your box each week
- you realize the end of the winter shares will offer many of the same items each week
- supporting local, eating organic and eating more vegetables are a high priority
- you want to make sure you can get a membership in the 2021 summer CSA
Here’s what you get with a WINTER Farm Share CSA Membership:
- 5 month season of great-tasting, vegetables (October – February).
- Ten shares delivered every other week beginning October 27.
- THERE ARE TWO DELIVERIES IN A ROW near THANKSGIVING and CHRISTMAS! on Nov. 17 & 24 and Dec. 15 & 22.
- Why? We want to “front load” your winter shares during the months you can receive the most variety. And to accommodate those who are cooking extra at the holidays.
- FLEXIBILITY: Don’t forget that you can reschedule your deliveries to fit your schedule. You can move your share to one of the other 10 delivery dates.
- Recipes, storage info and tips to help you use your box will match the items in your share.
- Locally grown vegetables – there’s nothing like the experience of eating seasonally, even in winter. Challenge yourself to support your local farmer by focusing on eating what he sends.
- Organically grown vegetables – we and our fellow farmers follow all the organic standards and go beyond in some ways by integrating animals, bees, flowers, trees and native plants on our land.
- Support from other members in a private Facebook group. You’ll enjoy posting your recipes, asking advice, getting ideas and interacting with other CSA members.
- Support for Your Local Farmer – Your food dollars go 100% to support the DeMaster Family, Willow Haven Farm and our partner/grower farms. Income in the winter months is much appreciated by farmers.
- Access to extras to supplement your box – unique items like Artisan Farmstead cheese from our cheese room, organic mushrooms, raw milk and much more.
- First Notice when 2022 Farm Share CSA is open!
WINTER SHARE Membership Price
STANDARD SHARE – $34.00/delivery
NEW LARGE SHARE – $42.50/delivery
- Apple Share – $10/delivery sourced locally, not organic.
- Egg Share – $6/delivery sourced from Leroy Sauder and Harold Weaver, certified organic
- Bread Share – $6.50/delivery from Willow Haven Farm
- Raw Cheese Share – $12/delivery from Hilltop Meadow Farm
- Artisan Cheese Share – $14/delivery from Haven Farmstead Table
WINTER SHARE Payment Arrangements
You will pay 50% before the first delivery. 25% down when you sign up. 25% + the first week on October 19. The remaining 50% will be divided between the remaining deliveries and charged on those weeks. You may also choose to PAY IN FULL.
What size is a Standard Share?
A standard share is often appropriate for 2 – 3 people. Likely 7 – 8 items in the share depending on product preferences. Includes full access to the entire farm box product list like eggs, bread, cheese and fruit. Sample Share: Potatoes (1 qt), Sweet Potatoes (1qt), Butternut Squash (2 small), Kale (1 bunch), Kohlrabi (2 bulbs), Carrots (1 bunch), Arugula (1 bag), Garlic (1 pint). You will have 2 weeks to use your share.
A Large share is often appropriate for 4+ people. Likely 9 – 10 items in the share depending on product preferences. Last years’ members requested a larger option. Includes full access to the entire farm box product list like eggs, bread, cheese and fruit. Sample Share: Potatoes (1 qt), Sweet Potatoes (1qt), Butternut Squash (2 small), Kale (1 bunch), Kohlrabi (2 bulbs), Carrots (1 bunch), Arugula (1 bag), Garlic (1 pint). You will have 2 weeks to use your share.
We calculate the contents of each share based on the real, monetary value of each crop. The contents of your particular share is determined by the number of items you receive and will vary from week to week.
If there are several higher value items like spinach or lettuce, you’ll have fewer items in your share. If there are lower value items like squash or potatoes, you’ll have more items in your share.
Describe the Standard Winter share
Because it costs more to grow and store vegetables in the winter, the winter share is more expensive per box than the summer shares. For instance, lettuce is cheap and easy to produce in the summer but much harder in the winter because it requires a heated greenhouse and there aren’t as many farms growing winter lettuce. Root crops were grown during the summer and kept in reserve on the farms until needed. Thousands of pounds of potatoes, onions, carrots and winter squash take up lots of room and need special conditions to keep them from deteriorating in storage.
Winter vegetables are mostly greens and root vegetables: Asian greens (Bok Choy, Tatsoi, Mizuna, Chinese Cabbage), Beets, Butternut Squash and other winter squash, Cabbage, Carrots, Garlic, Kale, Kohlrobi, Leeks, Lettuce Mix, Onions, Potatoes, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Turnips, Winter Radishes.
Each share will rotate through the varieties but the last shares will reflect what veggie crops are able to store the longest in good condition.
Is the Winter share customizable?
Limited. Because varieties are limited and we can’t afford to have extras that will go to waste, these shares are not fully customizable. You can still use your Harvie preferences to indicate what you like the best and to change pick up arrangements if necessary. You may find that some limited swapping is available.
Pick Up Sites:
- Home Delivery – Wednesdays 1 – 7 pm (Delivery fee $7/delivery)
- Farm Pick Up – Wednesdays 2pm – 8pm (no delivery fee)
- Bonn Place, Bethlehem – Wednesdays 4 pm – 10 pm (Delivery fee $3.50/delivery)
- PBS39 – winter only is Wednesdays 2:45 pm – 5:50 pm (Delivery fee $3.50/delivery)
- St. Stephen’s – winter only is Wednesdays 4 pm – 8 pm (Delivery fee $3.50/delivery)
- No Saturdays (we’re going to take some time off.)
- If your summer location is not listed, consider home delivery this winter or contact us if you are at one of our workplace sites. (Let us do the driving. You take a break. It is winter, after all!)
We’ll keep farming for you!
Reuben and Tessa DeMaster
Willow Haven Farm
Directions to the farm
P.S. Your homework: decide where to have your Winter share delivered to you.