- 3-4 small to medium pickling cucumbers, ¼ inch slices, per quart-sized jar
- One bunch dill
- 1 TBSP sea salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 TBSP mustard seeds or 1-2 TBSP pickling spices from your health food store, optional
- Place one clump dill, if using, at bottom of jar.
- Pack pickles tightly in jar.
- Add garlic, pickling spices, push gently in spaces between the cucumbers.
- Add salt, cover with filtered water and mix well. Leave an inch between the top of the jar and the top of the water.
- Cover lightly with lid and leave on your counter for 2-3 days. When the bright green color has faded, taste for flavor.
- When you are satisfied with the flavor development transfer to fridge, usually after 2 – 7 days.
Try this addition: add 1 – 2 tannin-rich leaves to each jar, like grape leaves, oak leaves or raspberry leaves, optional (though helpful for a good crunch!)
If you can’t find a pre-prepared pickling spice in your health food store, you can make your own. Mix a ¼ to ½ tsp of the following spices: black peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, red pepper flakes, allspice berries, juniper berries, whole cloves, ground ginger.
If you don’t have one of the above, don’t sweat it. Don’t be afraid to experiment and add other spices too like a cinnamon stick or other dried hot peppers.