Discovering new ways to use a vegetable is one of the fun aspects of receiving a Farm Share CSA Veggie Box. Grating a whole bunch of radish for a delicious radish salad was something I discovered last summer and enjoyed making many versions throughout the spring and fall. I knew how to use radish as a garnish for a salad but I didn’t really have a favorite way to use it or know how to use radish in quantity. But grating radish and using it as the base for a salad become my “go to” method and I looked forward to my next bunch. I even chose extra radish just so I could make this salad. Here is one version of my favorite radish salad.
Thai Radish Salad
- 2 bunches radishes, greens removed, radishes trimmed (about 8 oz)
- 1 stem green garlic or garlic scapes, minced – crushed clove of garlic, depending on season
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh seasonal herb, for garnish – chives, parsley, mint, dill, or my favorite, cilantro
- 1 -2 scallion or green onion
- 1/2 fresh hot pepper, seeded and minced OR 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or a honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped dry-roasted peanuts, for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Shred the radishes on a grater or finely chop. Transfer them to a large bowl and add the other ingredients; toss to combine.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning; the mixture may need more lime/lemon juice, and/or sugar, salt. garnish with the peanuts and herbs and serve.