What if you could be a farmer for a day, or a week, and take care of new baby animal? You can if you foster a pair of Chicks from Willow Haven Farm during your Easter Break.
Wouldn’t that make you feel connected to spring and to life in a whole new way?
In our chicken coop, the eggs we collect are full of potential. Most of the time they are meant to be collected everyday, put in a carton and used to make delicious omelettes, scrambles, quiches, creamy pies and fluffly cakes.
But given the right conditions, that egg will hatch into a chick.
We are one of the farms that receives our chicks through the mail from the post office. We usually get two boxes of one hundred loudly peeping chicks and then it’s our turn to make sure they are well taken care of.
It’s Your Turn!
Did you know you can help us raise our day old chicks for a couple weeks?
As soon as our chicks arrive there will be about one hundred local families that line up to pick out their special pair to take home.
They’ll learn that they have to pay attention to the details to keep their chicks warm, watered and well fed.
- Don’t let them get too warm.
- Don’t let them get too cold.
- Don’t let them spill their water and get too thirsty.
But don’t worry. Just like all babies, they will cry loudly to let you know something is wrong.
That’s what the loud peeping is meant to do. To remind you to check on the baby farm friends that you are fostering for Farmer Reuben.
Great! Where can I reserve my chicks? Reserve Here
When will I pick up my pair of chicks? Wed – Sat. March 27 – 30, 2024. Hours will be posted closer to the event.
How do I take care of my foster chick? We will send you a Chick Care Guide after you reserve your chicks. Watch your inbox because you’ll also receive a series of training emails so you will know exactly what to do.
Can I get ducklings? Sorry. We will not be offering ducklings this year.
Can I pick up after Easter? Yes. The chicks grow quickly but they will still be small and be a great experience. We are open the week after Easter beginning 8:30 – 4 most days.
When should I plan to return my foster friends? Most enjoy keeping them for about 2 weeks but you may return them before that if you prefer. Check our return hours (generally 8:30am – 7 pm Mon – Sat) or give us a call or message me.
What else can I do at Willow Haven Farm?
- We offer amazing, organic farm food all year round. Customize you market box to what you like and what you eat. We even deliver to homes in the Lehigh Valley. Foster A Chick participants get $15 off if you join our Market Box CSA by May 1st. Find out what you can get in a Market Box!
- Visit the farm any Saturday. Farm tours, see other animals, buy at our On Farm Market.
- Bring your family to Volunteer Tuesdays. Come any Tuesday between 8:30 – 9 am to get a chance to help on the farm.
- Enjoy Brick Oven Pizza at our Monthly Pizza Nights.
- Experience the best farm tour and kids activities during Open Gate Farm Tour on October 12 & 13, 2024
- Want to learn more skills to sustain your family? Check out our Homesteading Conference coming on September 7, 2024.