What are your pick up hours again? Wed – Sat. March 27 – 30, 2024. Hours will be posted closer to the event.
Wait! Where can I reserve my chicks? Reserve Here
Where is that Chick & Duckling Care Guide? Download the Guide Here
Can I get ducklings? Sorry. We will not be offering ducklings this year.
Can I pick up after Easter? Yes. The chicks grow quickly but they will still be small and be a great experience. We are open the week after Easter beginning 8:30 – 4 most days.
Can I keep them in the house and what is a safe heat source for indoors? Yes. You can keep them in the house, basement or garage as long as you can keep them warm enough. They prefer to be around 90 degrees. You may use any type of desk lamp that has a bulb that you can feel is giving off heat. Actual heat lamp bulbs are available at your hardware store for about $4. Just be careful that you don’t create a fire hazard. If you can’t find anything in your home that works, you can purchase something like this at a hardware store – brooder lamp. I think I’ve seen them for less than $8 in some years. The nice feature is they will clip onto the box.
What size box to they come in? The box is 24 x 12 x 12 inches. They should be happy in this box for 1 – 2 weeks.
Is it possible to get salmonella? Salmonella is very easy to avoid by using common sense handwashing procedures. It is possible to come in contact with salmonella anytime you touch fecal matter that harbors the bacteria. This could be a baby’s diaper, your pet’s fur, your own bathroom, or any other animal that you touch. Wash your hands, and your child’s, anytime the chicks, or their items, are handled.
Is it possible to get Covid-19 from chicks? In my research, I saw no documentation or suggestions that poultry can carry covid-19. Please observe handwashing procedures anyway to avoid other bacteria from animals.
What kind of chicks? Some of the chicks are an egg-laying breed called Rhode Island Red. The all-yellow chicks are called White Leghorns.
What if my chick gets sick? Sometimes this happens, through no fault of yours. Did it get too cold or too hot? Is it eating or drinking? Message me so we can figure it out together.
What #hashtags should I use for posting pictures on social media? Use #whfosterachick and #willowhavenfarm or #whfarm
When should I return my foster friends? Most enjoy keeping them for about 2 weeks but you may return them before that if you prefer. Check our return hours (generally 8:30am – 7 pm Mon – Sat) or give us a call or message me.
What else can I do at Willow Haven Farm?
- We offer amazing, organic farm food all year round. Customize you market box to what you like and what you eat. We even deliver to homes in the Lehigh Valley. Foster A Chick participants get $20 off if you join our Market Box CSA by May 1st. Find out what you can get in a Market Box!
- Visit the farm any Saturday. Farm tours, see other animals, buy at our On Farm Market.
- Bring your family to Volunteer Tuesdays. Come any Tuesday between 8:30 – 9 am to get a chance to help on the farm.
- Enjoy Brick Oven Pizza at our Monthly Pizza Nights.
- Experience the best farm tour and kids activities during Open Gate Farm Tour on October 12 & 13, 2024
- Want to learn more skills to sustain your family? Check out our Homesteading Conference coming on September 7, 2024.